Grassroots community work is what originally inspired Cathy to become involved in local politics and it is what continues to inspire her to continue to serve the residents of Ward 5 on Guelph City Council.
Cathy was first elected to City Council in 1994. Yes, a long time ago! She did not run for re-election in 2006 but continued to stay active in the community for the next 8 years volunteering and serving on community boards. She was elected again in 2014 and continues to serve as a Ward 5 Councillor. Cathy is a Board Member on the Association Municipalities of Ontario.
Cathy has an Advanced Mediation and Conflict Management Certificate from the University of Waterloo – Conrad Grebel Peace and Conflict Studies. She also holds a Chartered Mediator designation from the Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario/Canada and works in private practice as a Conflict Management Specialist.
In 2007, Cathy received the Guelph YM-YWCA Women of Distinction Award for Public Service. She is a long time resident of Ward 5 where she raised three children with her husband, Bob.
- Guelph Youth Music Centre – Board Member
- John Howard Society- Restorative Justice Mediator
- Community Justice Initiative – Volunteer Mediator and Coach
- Guelph Community Health Centre – Board Member
- Suzuki String School of Guelph – Board Member – Treasurer
- Guelph Planning Advisory Committee – Board Member
- Old University Residents Association – Board Member
- Planning, Engineering and Environment – Chair
- Public Works – Chair
- Finance and Administration
- City Administration Centre and Courthouse Redevelopment Committee – Chair
- Loretto Convent Task Force
Boards as Council Representative
- Town and Gown Committee
- University of Guelph’s Homecoming Committee
- Downtown Guelph Business Association
- Heritage Guelph
- G & W Family and Children’s Services – President, 2000 -2006
- Kindle Communities – founding Board member
- Guelph Non Profit Housing